People like bad anime
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't see what opinion has to do with right and wrong. After all whether something is good, bad, or a masterpiece in itself will always go back to an individual.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
swmaxxx Wrote:Well it looks like this thread got a little off topic but that?s fine because I?ve played the piano for 13 years so I appreciate music pretty well. And for the anime list I own here it is (not everything I own is a great anime. for those of you who have seen these you will know which ones i'm talking about):

COMPLETE COLLECTIONS:

Blue Gender
Cromartie High School
D.N.Angel
Full Metal Panic
FLCL
Golden Boy
Kikaider
Najica: Blitz Tactics
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Steel Angel Karumi
Those Who Hunt Elves
Vandread
Wild Arms
Aquarian Age

MOVIES:

Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2
Akira
Armitage III
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Nausica
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl?s Moving Castle

For starters I just want to say that if you think this thread got a little off topic you should stick around. Threads almost always go off topic on IA. Big Grin
Now, If that's all the anime you've watched let me tell you you really haven't watched much anime at all. Definitely not enough to go around preaching about what an anime fan really is. Believe me, the vast majority of people here have watched so much more and so much better!
Want to see some awesome anime? Try Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Samura 7, Haibane Renmei, Witch Hunter Robin, Full Metal Alchemist, Otogizoushi, Mushishi, Last Exile (these last 3 are my personal favourites), Twelve Kingdoms, Madlax... and this is just to name a few.

marka Wrote:Actually, I was reacting more to gubi-gubi. (Maybe if I were not so lazy and figured out how to stick parts of quotes into a reply, I would've been clearer.) I got the impression you liked classical music, which is cool in my book.

How did I just quoted what you wrote? I clicked on the button that says "quote" and your post appeared as a quote on my post automaticaly. If you want to include several quotes in one post just copy and then paste them onto your post. At least that's what I do, don't know if anybody else has a different method. Hope this helped. Smile

YamiFan Wrote:I was simply talking about Inuyasha. If you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

No, I don't know what you mean. Then again I'm certain you and I don't see eye to eye on this matter so let's just leave it at that. Big Grin

gubi-gubi Wrote:Music progresses and you have to hear what has gone before to appreiciate it (hence why Beethoven is so popular).

The thing about Beethoven is that he's popular but he isn't. He's popular in the sense that everybody knows who he is, but nowadays he isn't popular in the true sense of the word. Beethoven isn't "Widely liked or appreciated" anymore. We've all heard of him but only a few actually like him. You can't deny the vast majority of people nowadays don't like classical music. If Beethoven wasn't already a great historical figure, it wouldn't be thanks to the people of our time that his name would prevail. The reason why Beethoven is considered great, even by people that don't really like him and that don't really have the capacity to understand his greatness, is because it's common practice to say he's great. Most people just repeat what others tell them without really knowing what they're saying, and that's why everybody still says Beethoven is great. The ones that loved his music said he was great and since back then those who loved his music were many, the greatness of his talent was spread to the four corners of the world. He became recognized as great because he was liked by many and this just proves that personal taste plays a role when it comes to determine if something's good or not. Perfect technique plays its role but art is more than just technique.

gubi-gubi Wrote:Citizen Kane is boring as hell. BUT it was revolutionary in the way it was shot. Orson Welles had a vision and demanded technology caught up with it and invented new techniques and lenses used today. If someone says its a crap film then are they wrong? Is it crap because of story or because of its place in film history? To watch it now it doesn't blow you away because of all the techniques it created are used so much today but if you watched it when it first came out then it would of been amazing... It's a tough call.

See, this is exactly what I mean. Technically speaking Citizen Kane is a masterpiece but as a movie, as a whole, it might or it mightn't be. That depends on the individual.

Cyrus Wrote:Beethoven was an amazing composer considering he was deaf and his music is some of the more difficult classical music out there.

Ever heard of Rachmaninoff? He composed some of the most (if not the most) difficult piano concertos ever, yet how many know his name? I'm not saying he was better than Beethoven, obviously, but if writing difficult and technically perfect classical music was all there was to being called great then he's name should be known by all.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Quote:

If you want to include several quotes in one post just copy and then paste them onto your post. At least that's what I do, don't know if anybody else has a different method. Hope this helped.

-----

Yeah, it did. (Duuuuuuh.........)

Thanks!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Now, If that's all the anime you've watched let me tell you you really haven't watched much anime at all. Definitely not enough to go around preaching about what an anime fan really is. Believe me, the vast majority of people here have watched so much more and so much better!
Want to see some awesome anime? Try Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Samura 7, Haibane Renmei, Witch Hunter Robin, Full Metal Alchemist, Otogizoushi, Mushishi, Last Exile (these last 3 are my personal favourites), Twelve Kingdoms, Madlax... and this is just to name a few.

For starters, this is not all that i have seen. its not even all i own. its just the complete collections that i own. most of those anime you listed i have seen. (haibane renmei is a one of my top 5 favorites. If you can tell me the deeper meaning of the story, then my trust in you will be greatly increased).

Andromeda18_ Wrote:The thing about Beethoven is that he's popular but he isn't. He's popular in the sense that everybody knows who he is, but nowadays he isn't popular in the true sense of the word. Beethoven isn't "Widely liked or appreciated" anymore. We've all heard of him but only a few actually like him. You can't deny the vast majority of people nowadays don't like classical music. If Beethoven wasn't already a great historical figure, it wouldn't be thanks to the people of our time that his name would prevail. The reason why Beethoven is considered great, even by people that don't really like him and that don't really have the capacity to understand his greatness, is because it's common practice to say he's great. Most people just repeat what others tell them without really knowing what they're saying, and that's why everybody still says Beethoven is great. The ones that loved his music said he was great and since back then those who loved his music were many, the greatness of his talent was spread to the four corners of the world. He became recognized as great because he was liked by many and this just proves that personal taste plays a role when it comes to determine if something's good or not. Perfect technique plays its role but art is more than just technique.

you are wrong about beethoven not being widely liked or appreciated. you obviously havent been musically trained correctly. more people appreciate his music than you know. he is a musical genius. not one musician today can even compare. the closest one would have to be john williams. i have been playing piano for 13 years and i know that not even i understand his music. now this doesnt mean i cant play the music. there is a difference between playing and knowing. if anyone says that his music is bad then they know nothing about music. they may not like the music but saying its bad is incorrect.

Andromeda18_ Wrote:Ever heard of Rachmaninoff? He composed some of the most (if not the most) difficult piano concertos ever, yet how many know his name? I'm not saying he was better than Beethoven, obviously, but if writing difficult and technically perfect classical music was all there was to being called great then he's name should be known by all.

yes i have heard of him and yes he is difficult but that doesnt justify greatness. now i'm not saying he isnt great because he is. one of the greatest. its irrelevant if a person knows his name or not. he is still great.

gubi-gubi Wrote:How are any of those titles rare or underground that you've had to sniff out? The movies are pretty damn basic and have been shown on TV and in cinemas. The TV section looks like the bargain bin at any dvd store. I don't think you have the right to judge anyone elses tastes in anime.

i never said what i own is rare or underground. i never said it was hard to find them. you missunderstood what i said. read it again. what makes the movies made from an Oscar winning anime director "pretty damn basic"?? those are good movies. and no i didnt get my shows from "the bargain bin" haha. dvd store yes. dvds in general are about the same price. unless they are really old or in thinkpack wich i tend to stray away from because they dont have extras like the regular dvds have. i have spent close to $1400 on my anime. thats not a bargain. lol.

oh and one last thing. beethoven wasn't in the clasical era, he was in the romantic.
I'm not reading this thread because this guy must have just wanted to be flamed. Must be totally maso. But anyway, I read the first few comments and I think everyone can agree that when someone tries to tell others what to like, not like, and you know, think in general, they can piss off. And that?s pretty much what this guy can do. Hope you enjoy your flying leap fool.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Blight Wrote:I'm not reading this thread because this guy must have just wanted to be flamed. Must be totally maso. But anyway, I read the first few comments and I think everyone can agree that when someone tries to tell others what to like, not like, and you know, think in general, they can piss off. And that?s pretty much what this guy can do. Hope you enjoy your flying leap fool.

Sounds about right and the thread didn't change much at all.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
swmaxxx Wrote:you are wrong about beethoven not being widely liked or appreciated. you obviously havent been musically trained correctly. more people appreciate his music than you know. he is a musical genius. not one musician today can even compare. the closest one would have to be john williams. i have been playing piano for 13 years and i know that not even i understand his music. now this doesnt mean i cant play the music. there is a difference between playing and knowing. if anyone says that his music is bad then they know nothing about music. they may not like the music but saying its bad is incorrect.

One doesn't have to be trained in music to know classical music (yeah, yeah, I know he was from the romantic period) nowadays isn't appreciated by many. One needs to have eyes and years. For someone like you who's played the piano for 13 that might be harder to tell because you most likely know a lot of people who enjoy his music but the truth is the vast majority doesn't. It's a simple fact, just look around and look closely. And I think I need to say this again but I, personally, like Beethoven so I'm not attacking his greatness here or anything. I'm just trying to make a point by using him as an example, I can easily switch on to Mozart if you prefer, or then change the theme altogether. Big Grin

swmaxxx Wrote:yes i have heard of him and yes he is difficult but that doesnt justify greatness.

And that was exactly my point. I don't know if you noticed but Cyrus was saying Beethoven was great because he wrote difficult music (I'm being succinct here). To me that doesn't justify greatness either which is why I've been traying to explain that if Beethoven was a genius it wasn't only because he could write difficult music.

swmaxxx Wrote:oh and one last thing. beethoven wasn't in the clasical era, he was in the romantic.

I know that but 'classical music' is just an expression used by the general public when refering to that sort of music (don't know if I'm making myself clear here). If we started calling things by their names it would just result in a bit of a mess.
swmaxxx Wrote:i never said what i own is rare or underground. i never said it was hard to find them. you missunderstood what i said. read it again.

swmaxxx Wrote:People go straight to Adult Swim and see that an anime is playing and deem it an astounding anime. If you truly want to be an anime fan, then go out and find good anime for yourself. Don't have other people do it for you.

From what you're saying it sounds like you make out like you go watch some obscure anime instead of what's mainstream but looking at your list I see nothing that isn't mainstream or obscure. Infact alot of your list has been shown on TV so I don't think you have the right to critisize other people for saying their favorite anime is something that's been shown on TV. I think you're just trying to get a name for yourself by being an asshole and saying how much of an otaku you are...
gubi-gubi Wrote:From what you're saying it sounds like you make out like you go watch some obscure anime instead of what's mainstream but looking at your list I see nothing that isn't mainstream or obscure. Infact alot of your list has been shown on TV so I don't think you have the right to critisize other people for saying their favorite anime is something that's been shown on TV. I think you're just trying to get a name for yourself by being an asshole and saying how much of an otaku you are...

i'll say it again. i dont try and find the most rare and obscure anime. if i see it and havent heard of it then i'll look into it. i think the most obscure anime is the fansubs i watch which is obscure only in the sence that they havent been released here. thats all
swmaxxx Wrote:i'll say it again. i dont try and find the most rare and obscure anime. if i see it and havent heard of it then i'll look into it. i think the most obscure anime is the fansubs i watch which is obscure only in the sence that they havent been released here. thats all

Doesn't matter. You rip on people that find an anime on TV and like it. I love Yu Yu Hakusho, so I'd like to molest you with an iron stick for being a damn snob. All it takes for an anime to be good is for someone to find it interesting and immersive. In that sense, even Pokemon is a good anime. However you must also understand that anime, like all entertainment (and it is entertainment don't give me some prissy defense of its art or something just as weak) is age sensitive. Not everything is targeted for you, so when you form a viewpoint on something that you would never have an interest in, your position doesn’t even really matter. Same thing goes for when you would judge an anime that exist in a genre you have no appreciation for.

And even if you think an anime sucks, that doesn't give you the right to stick you piss-ant nose into other peoples enjoyment and shit on it and them because you don't approve. I'm guessing by now you have either come to the conclusion of, "Damn, I really screwed this one up." or you’re just an elitist jackass who won't back down and admit that your opinions are only your own personal prejudices. No one gives two shits about the judgments of someone who has no respect for the ideas of others.
Blight Wrote:In that sense, even Pokemon is a good anime.

Pika-pika Chuuuu! Oh geez, I just could't resist myself! Ah, ah! Big Grin
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Pika-pika Chuuuu! Oh geez, I just could't resist myself! Ah, ah! Big Grin

LOL XD. Yeah, I know that trying to use Pokemon to your advantage anywhere in a conversation about bad anime, is about as smart as going up a against a guy with a bazooka when all you got is a duce-duce, but I wanted to pick a show that so sharply contrasted what people normally think a good anime is to make my point have some substantial strength. Thus I called in the lil yellow mouse lol.
Blight Wrote:LOL XD. Yeah, I know that trying to use Pokemon to your advantage anywhere in a conversation about bad anime, is about as smart as going up a against a guy with a bazooka when all you got is a duce-duce, but I wanted to pick a show that so sharply contrasted what people normally think a good anime is to make my point have some substantial strength. Thus I called in the lil yellow mouse lol.

Hey, I watch Pokemon once in a while, when I'm getting ready to go out in the morning and it's on tv at that moment. It keeps me entertained and garanties that I start the day in a good mood (which I almost always do anyways). Therefore I couldn't possibly speak poorly about it even though it's no masterpiece. How could I say it's bad, which it is, and still watch it? :p I'm a walking contradiction! Big Grin
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Hey, I watch Pokemon once in a while, when I'm getting ready to go out in the morning and it's on tv at that moment. It keeps me entertained and garanties that I start the day in a good mood (which I almost always do anyways). Therefore I couldn't possibly speak poorly about it even though it's no masterpiece. How could I say it's bad, which it is, and still watch it? :p I'm a walking contradiction! Big Grin

You know, I actually did always like it when there was actually poke battles (but always hoped those three losers would always die and not come back in another episode...) You know, sometimes I forget how good it feels to not be so critical of something and just take a look at it what it is; you can almost always find some good, or at least innocently refreshing, in it. And the game of course was joy. I always picked bulbasaur (sp?) Now I want to go play it on emulator right now ^^.
Blight Wrote:You know, I actually did always like it when there was actually poke battles (but always hoped those three losers would always die and not come back in another episode...) You know, sometimes I forget how good it feels to not be so critical of something and just take a look at it what it is; you can almost always find some good, or at least innocently refreshing, in it. And the game of course was joy. I always picked bulbasaur (sp?) Now I want to go play it on emulator right now ^^.

Then by all means, go play it! Big Grin I for one am going to get some sleep, it's almost 5:30 am here. Maybe I'll read a little something before though... Wink