Canada: Cheap anime at Wal-Mart
Recently, while visiting my folks in Michigan, I went across the border to Windsor, Ontario, for a day trip. While there, I stopped by at a Wal-Mart, to find any good Canadian music and DVDs.

While there, I noticed that that Wal-Mart store was selling various anime DVDs -- mainly Geneon titles -- for about $6 to $9 each. While they were worth a buy, I was leary about the wrapping -- by the looks of them, the wrapping on these DVDs were quite tattered, and not of the same material used to wrap DVD packaging.

My impression was that these DVDs were actually used, then rewrapped (poorly) for resale.

Anyone else see these DVDs at Wal-Mart (or any other Camadian discounter)?
--
Travel The Anime Expressway
http://www.animeexpressway.com/
I have even purchased a few of these titles and they have all been in perfect condition when I opened them.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Nope, they're mint condition discs. The reason the cases were tattered was because they were probably in a bin, which means they got tossed around like crazy. It's hard to find any walmarts that even carry them anymore though. Most are sold out, and never restocked. (since i think it was a 1 time thing)

I'm still pissed that the special edition of Sakura Wars: The Movie was on the $7 shelf. You know, the one that comes with all the pencil boards, etc. The very same one I spent about $40 on a year earlier :p
[Image: 468x60_gumgum.gif]
I've noticed a few discount stores that carry dvd's and occasionally anime...

i.e. Richmond BC Superstore on no.3 road, there's a clearance centre right next door that got a stock of anime in... (they pick up bankruptcy/out of business stock items and resell at super cheap prices...)

They probably don't have anymore... but the lesson i guess is to keep your eyes out at discount stores... you might find some gems for cheap...

(just picked up r1 Arc the Lad for $15cad per disc... in another shop in richmond that sells mostly HK's, and is apparently getting rid of their r1 stock...)
Berserk there is going for $20/disc... but don't know if the whole set is there...
Yeah, places like Zellers and The Bay (the ones that have cheapo dvd areas) usually have anime dvds in there as well. Mostly older ADV titles, but they run for like $4 a disc. I've picked up many a thing there... but as of late they sucked. Like walmart, once they sell out, they're gone for good.
My big lots gets in anime all the time - not with any consistency by at 3.99 or around their thats a great price ! Ive also visited a few kmarts and they also have a few older anime in discount bins-- so keep checking places, who knows who will get the left over Media play stuff - probably some of their affiliates Smile
A few days back my Walmart has recieved another HUGE shelf of budget anime. All with the price tag of 2/$12

In it is most of the same stuff from before, though there are a few new things in there. As always, it's just a giant mass of geneon/pioneer anime tv series. Since i was short on cash, i only picked up a couple things i was missing (3 more discs of Mini-Goddess, and Green Legend Ran which i used to own on vhs)
Ooh, At a bestbut I once got liek a Big O Collection 2 for liek 20 bucks, they also had some newer singles for liek 11 a pop. But still my favorite pruchase from there, was getting Ichi the Killer and beign way under age for that movie (its said right on the case 21 or older, hehehe but at 13 i got it)
i picked up the entire adventures of mini goddess series @ walmart, only $6 a disc, not bad at all. ah well, the search continues for the ah my goddess movie......
I keep hoping to find the Ah My Goddess movie in that bin as well, but i don't think it'll ever happen ;_;

One of my local used dvd places has it, but they're trying to sell it for like $26 or something (and it's a pretty used case). Which seems like a rip-off to me. Anytime a movie becomes used, there is NO WAY it should ever be over $15 (and sometimes that is even pushing it)